Progress over perfection
- Practice makes progress, not perfect. Perfection is an illusion that can lead to a self-defeating mindset.
- Wellness is a journey that takes determination to get back on track when slip-ups occur. Falling off track at least once is actually an expected part of the process, but doesn’t have to be a reason to quit. We can fall seven times and get up eight!
- Success is not only defined by reaching a goal, or a number on a scale, but when today’s, then tomorrow’s, steps are taken towards the goal.
- A little progress each day adds up to big results. You don’t have to be perfect to make progress!
Beyond skin deep
- Focus is on the internal, not just external, aspects of health and wellness.
- Though there is a multibillion-dollar diet industry and people in vicious cycles of weight loss and weight gain, sometimes in pursuit of that “perfect body”, health is much more complex than physical appearance.
- Managing weight, being healthier, looking and feeling better, and reducing risk factors for health issues all can happen without looking like a fitness model.
- Research shows that even a small amount of weight loss, 5-10% of total body weight, has health benefits and can improve blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov).
One size does NOT fit all
- I embrace an individualized, not a one-size-fits-all, approach.
- People need help forming a well-laid out plan with tools and support specific for them. I will help you discover what works for you.
- Considering all dimensions of people as unique individuals allows me to best acknowledge and understand personal expectations, challenges, strengths, weaknesses, health conditions, fears, attitudes and past experiences.
- I listen and treat you with unconditional positive regard as I foster what motivates and supports you towards your goals.
- I help you make connections. For example, how physical activity helps to reduce stress, increase energy, improve mood, confidence, and quality of sleep among many other benefits.
- Sometimes people perceive exercise as an obligation they just want to hurry up and get done. They don’t make the connection that movements in their exercise program translate to the way they move in everyday life. When movement is better everyday things like carrying groceries, house work, yard work, walking up the stairs and playing with the kids or grandkids are also better.
- Understanding what it feels like to get bad, scary news from a doctor (whether it was something that could have been prevented or not) has given me empathy for those with medical conditions or who go through something difficult health related. This helps me connect with others with greater compassion and has inspired me to want to help people even more.
Approachable and practical
- My mission is to meet you where you are and help make things less complicated for you to be the healthiest version of yourself.
- In sports, and in life, I’ve always loved a good comeback story and love empowering people to be their best no matter what challenges they face.
- We prioritize what we value. I am interested in learning about what you value and helping you conquer obstacles in the way of the positive changes that you seek!